Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Chocolate's 'Reign' over marketing

Hey, remember when I was pumping Dr. Pepper's latest beverage creation? Well apparently a mention on The Jerc Store wasn't a big enough advertising move, so they've turned to the latest trend in advertising and featured Tay Zonday.

...wait, who?

Tay Zonday, better known as the genius behind the viral video "Chocolate Rain," is making an even bigger name (and bank account) for himself by joining up with True Entertainment in the "Cherry Chocolate Rain" video.

The video--which at this point has 1,196,291 views--features Tay and rapper Mista Johnson in an over-the-top spoof on rap music and the original video that made Tay a star. Several scantily clad women and buckets of chocolate pour all over the vertically-challenged, but oddly precious, singer as he croons about "a love that took him by force": the Dr. Pepper soda embodied as an attractive woman.
I think this is pure genius. This won't be the driving force that gets people to like the sode, but this thing is going to be a huge part of getting the word out about this product. And the best part of the whole video is the completely misplaced squirrel toward the end of the video that gets doused in chocolate.

RELATED LINKS:
Dessert in a can

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess..I just have to let you know that I now visit your blog more than cnn.com for my news...And this is absolutely brilliant, and I'm excited-i'm keeping my eyes peeled for the commercials.
-Kim

The Jerc said...

Haha, that's so great to hear Kim, thanks! I'll be sure to keep my finger firmly on the pulse of bad reality television and offbeat news just for you :)