Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My own Consumerist story

My boyfriend and I recently had dinner at a Bennigan's restaurant, which is never really high on the list of dining destinations, but we wanted a change.

On the way in, we saw a sign for the Triple Dare dessert, which features some combination of fried Twinkies and brownies and vanilla ice cream; the tagline on the sign said was something to the effect of punching the Surgeon General in the face [click here for photo and description]. Still, we decided to save room for this artery-clogging confection.

Now, in an effort to eat on the relatively 'lighter' side, I opted for a cup of soup and half a sandwich. "Oh, half a Monte Cristo? Sure, that looks pretty good," I said as I looked at the picture featured on the menu. Yeah, it says it's lightly fried, but I'm looking at the photo (below) and thinking, "Oh, okay, crispy bread."
But what appeared on my plate was the most abhorrent thing I'd ever seen.

The picture to the left is not mine, but boy do I wish I had a camera that day, because even this does not do it justice. When I say the server brought me two triangular lunch meat-filled donuts, that's an understatement. I could barely even pick up the sandwich because its greasy inch-thick fried covering was slipping out of my hands. I understand those pictures on the menu are just a "suggestion" of what you are to be served, but that picture was a boldfaced lie!

When I returned home, I did some research on the sandwich and found that I am in the vast minority of American's who tried the sandwich I now affectionately refer to as coronary on a plate. Nearly everyone in this country freaking loves this sandwich! I couldn't believe it. I felt I needed to expose it for all its dietary detriment.

Anyway, back at the restaurant, I ate about five bites of the sandwich and held off for the Triple Dare, which yes, was much more disgusting than the Monte Cristo, but at least they weren't trying to cover up its fried, chocolatey, Twinkie goodness.

Feeling absolutely awful, I went home and wrote to Bennigan's. I told them the drinks we ordered were phenomenal, and our server was quite pleasant...but that their irresponsibility in menu artwork left me considering a post-meal run around the block to try and "reverse my fortune" of dining at Bennigan's.

The story does not end there, though, because had Bennigan's not written me back, I would have posted this story anyway, encouraging all readers to boycott the restaurant.

Instead, this weekend I received a friendly letter from the corporation, saying they valued me as a customer and would bring up my concerns with management. And while that could be standard protocol for the company, I appreciated the response and the $10 gift card to give them another shot.

So the moral of the story is: If you want to die an early death, order the Monte Cristo sandwich at Bennigan's. And if not, go there anyway - they appreciate their customers. And their drinks (alcoholic and non-) are fan-freaking-tastic.

No comments: