Wednesday, July 9, 2008

His ass is grass

I should have posted this Sunday, but I was distracted by work and bad reality television. Are you surprised?

Thanks to my boyfriend, I dove headfirst into the Wimbledon match this weekend--something that I haven't been interested in since I was 10 years old, sitting at home during my summer vacation from school--but thank the Lord I did. This was one for the record books, in more ways than one.

Nadal won the match 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-7 (8), 9-7.

Until that match, Federer had won 65 straight matches on grass. Federer didn't capitalize on break points and Nadal couldn't handle 16 ace serves from the five-time Wimbledon champ. Two rain interruptions--one arguably helping Federer and one helping Nadal-- kept the match going until 9 p.m., and any longer it would have been held til Monday. Federer had the opportunity to become the first man since the 1880s to win six Wimbledon titles in a row. Nadal had the opportunity to--and ultimately did--become the first man since Bjorn Borg in 1980 to win titles at Wimbledon and at the clay-court French Open in the same year.

This match is being called the greatest in Wimbledon history, and certainly I --a relative tennis novice-- can do it no justice. I'll just say that every point, every set and every minute of the nearly 5-hour match was a roller coaster, with no one knowing what would come next...and it was totally worth my entire Sunday.

To read a comprehensive description of the match, click here.

No comments: